Yoga One Retreat with Michaela Codding & Deacon Carpenter
JULY 6-13, 2019
Join Michaela Codding and Deacon Carpenter of Sonoma's Yoga One, in the romantic Tuscan countryside for this beautifully curated yoga retreat. During this week long journey, you will be inspired and uplifted to be your best you. A daily yoga practice will be balanced with Ayurvedic inspired cooking classes, hikes, wine and olive oil exploration, daytrips to local hamlets, and more.
Michaela was born and raised in Bremen, Germany, but has been living in Sonoma County, California for the last 30 years and has been working in the health and wellness field for about that long, and as a yoga teacher for 10 years. Michaela originally came to yoga for its physical benefits and in the process of the physical practice, she also discovered the mental benefits of spending time on her mat. Michaela strongly believes in finding a balance of strength and ease on and off the mat. Through encouraging students to listen to their own bodies, they are able to find that balance between getting out of their comfort zones toward a place of growth on one hand but feeling safe to modify to fit their needs on the other.
At the age of 16, chronic illness and obesity led Deacon Carpenter to a fateful meeting with a local Ayurvedic doctor, which created a seismic shift in Deacon’s perception of food, health and physical balance. Heeding the advice of his doctor, Deacon modified his diet, started to practice yoga and shed over 140 pounds. To Deacon, Ayurveda and yoga together just made sense. Once he was educated and empowered to understand what was causing him to be sick, the steps to reclaiming his health were clear and simple. In 2009, Deacon obtained his certification as a Clinical Ayurvedic Specialist from the California College of Ayurveda. He moved from New York City in 2010 and has established his first practice in Northern California. Although specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, Deacon works with patients from every walk of life who have many unique health conditions. He believes an accessible approach to Ayurveda is key to achieving and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Michaela is excited to be able to combine her passion for yoga and her love for Italy by offering this Tuscan retreat, while Deacon will lead the group in Ayurvedic cooking classes and education.
The setting for the retreat will be the 1000 year old exclusive estate, Villa Montecastello, a working organic farm and olive orchard that has been immaculately renovated to offer its visitors an authentic and understated luxury experience in Tuscany. Located one hour south of Florence, the Villa is surrounded by olive groves, with vineyards and nature reserves at its base. Villa Montecastello is a full size working organic farm, producing award winning extra virgin olive oil, as well as a unique and vast assortment of garden produce and herbs which will be used in your meals and cooking classes throughout the week. The villa is home to an array of farm animals including the local breed of Cinta Senesi pig, donkeys, chicken and guinea fowl. Your week spent in this storybook setting will be complemented by clean farm to table eating, magical day trips to ancient local towns and hamlets, cooking classes and visiting boutique vineyards of Tuscany.
- Saturday: Arrival to Villa Montecastello. Light lunch and time to relax and freshen up. Gentle yoga in the late afternoon, followed by a tour of the property and farm. Sunset Prosecco reception and welcome dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Sunday: Morning yoga (60 minutes) followed by breakfast. Mid morning hike through the local nature reserve. Lunch at Villa Montecastello with free time in the afternoon to enjoy the pool, the grounds and good company. Dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Monday: 90 minute morning yoga session followed by breakfast. Olive oil class and tasting, followed by free time to relax. Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Afternoon departure for Siena, a World UNESCO Heritage Site, for an afternoon of exploring on your own. Dinner out together at one of the best local restaurants in Siena.
- Tuesday: Morning yoga (60 minutes) followed by breakfast. Mid morning farm tour with education about running a biodynamic farm. If the season allows, we will forage for seasonal produce to be used in our afternoon cooking class. Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Afternoon seasonal cooking class with Deacon Carpenter using Ayurvedic principles, followed by dinner at Villa Montecastello enjoying a meal of your own creation.
- Wednesday: Morning yoga (60 minutes) followed by breakfast. Mid morning departure for Montalcino for a vineyard tour and tasting at a boutique Brunello winery. Lunch at a lovely restaurant in Montalcino with unbeatable views of wine country, followed by some free time to explore the town of Montalcino. Late afternoon free time to relax back at the villa. Dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Thursday: Morning yoga (60 minutes) followed by breakfast. Cooking class using spices, olive oil and herbs led by Deacon Carpenter using Ayurvedic principles, followed by lunch at Villa Montecastello, eating a meal of our own creation. Afternoon departure for San Gimignano, a small walled in medieval hill town for free time to explore on your own. Dinner out at a favorite local trattoria.
- Friday: 90 minute morning yoga session followed by breakfast. Mid morning hike through the local nature reserve. Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Free time to enjoy the pool, a good book and good company. Farewell Dinner. Pizza party night at Villa Montecastello – make your own pizza in a restored 1000 year old outdoor oven.
- Saturday: Early morning yoga followed by breakfast and scattered departure for the airport.
All Inclusive Accommodations
Villa Montecastello will be your private Tuscan oasis during this week long retreat. We hope you will immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of nature, eat to your heart’s content, and to relax by the pool with a glass of Prosecco and soak in the sprawling views of the Tuscan countryside.
The week includes all overnight accommodations at Villa Montecastello, 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners, welcome Prosecco reception, daily yoga practice, all local transportation as described in the itinerary, airport pickup and drop off at Florence airport. Daily breakfast buffet includes locally baked goods and produce, coffee, tea and juice. Special breakfast items available upon request. House curated wine selections served with lunch and dinner.
Not Included in Pricing: Airfare, extra beverages outside of meals, transportation or activities outside of itinerary. On site massage available for booking.
Each room is uniquely furnished with the utmost attention to detail. All rooms offer luxury hand ironed linens, hand made olive oil soap and shampoo, fresh cut flowers and air conditioning. Villa Montecastello offers 8 room options of varying sizes and pricing, each is filled with beautiful antiques, warmth and charm. The Villa Montecastello has many shared sitting areas both inside and out, a library filled with books about Italy, food and wine, as well as a professional chef’s kitchen where your cooking classes will take place.
- Leccino Luxury Suite: $6200 per person for double occupancy - The largest apartment offering the most comfort and space with one bedroom with Queen bed, a private living room with pull out sofa bed, replace, living room area, kitchen and large ensuite bathroom
- Frantoio Suite: $5900 per person for double occupancy - Our most romantic room, beautifully appointed with a King size canopy bed and ensuite bathroom with claw foot tub
- Pendolino Studio: $5600 per person for double occupancy, $6100 per person for single occupancy - A charming studio with Queen bed, private ensuite bathroom and kitchenette
- Foresteria: $5600 per person for double occupancy, $6100 per person for single occupancy - A beautiful large bedroom with King bed or two Twin beds and private ensuite bathroom
- Moraiolo Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5300 per person for double occupancy, $5800 per person for single occupancy - Cozy and lovely rooms with private bathrooms across the hallway, just a few steps outside the room. Bedroom #1 has the option for a King bed or two Twin beds. Bedroom #2 has a Queen bed.
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For questions or to book direct email us or call 973.327.2336