Chef Naomi Pomeroy
JUNE 23-30, 2018
James Beard Award Winning Chef and owner of acclaimed Portland restaurant, Beast, comes back to Villa Montecastello to share her passion and cook together with you straight from the farm.
Join Naomi Pomeroy, award winning chef of Portland’s Beast and Expatriate, for an unforgettable culinary adventure and intimate, hands on week of cooking in the romantic Tuscan countryside. Based on her cookbook, Taste & Technique, which The New York Times calls one of the best of 2016, and which won a coveted IACP award for food photography and styling, Naomi will share her knowledge, teaching the foundations and building blocks to become a master home cook, with a focus not just on making incredibly delicious food, but also on how to compose and style your meals for the
most impressive outcome. Inspired by her lifelong passion for flowers and plants, and the opening of her new floral design studio, Colibri, Naomi will also lead a flower workshop and share her unique perspective on creating unique composed arrangements.
Naomi will be joined on the retreat by the talented Pastry Chef, Ellen Laing, who will lead a dessert workshop and share her tips for creating the most sublime desserts.
The setting for this week will be the immaculately restored 11th century luxury agriturismo, Villa Montecastello, a working organic farm and olive grove, perched high atop a hillside with the dreamiest country views. The villa has been immaculately renovated to offer its visitors an authentic luxury experience in Tuscany centered around food and wine. Located one hour south of Florence, the Villa is surrounded by olive groves, with vineyards and nature reserves at its base. Your week spent in this storybook setting will be complemented by magical day trips and wonderful wines.
- Saturday: Arrival to Villa Montecastello. Light lunch. Time to relax and freshen up. Welcome farm tour. Sunset Prosecco reception and welcome dinner at Villa Montecastello cooked by Naomi, Ellen and villa owner, Jens Schmidt.
- Sunday: Breakfast. Morning cooking class. Head to the gardens to pick seasonal vegetables for the morning class. Quiche demonstration with salad ingredients harvested by the class & tricks to dressing perfect salads. Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Free time for swimming, hiking, reading, exploring. Afternoon cooking class. Fish & perfect summer sides. Fish Dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Monday: Breakfast. Morning visit to a local honey maker for a tour and tasting. Head back to the kitchen to explore how to use the honey in our cooking. Cooking class. Prepare honey marinated chicken for grill night. Dessert workshop with Pastry Chef Ellen Laing: Salted Honey Pie & Ice Cream. Free time to relax before dinner out at a favorite local trattoria.
- Tuesday: Breakfast. Late morning trip to Montalcino for a winery tour and Brunello tasting. Lunch in Montalcino with some time to explore the town. Dinner at Villa Montecastello - Grill night with desserts from the pastry workshop!
- Wednesday: Breakfast. Head to the chicken coop to gather eggs for the cooking class. Morning cooking class. Mastering the souﬄé, followed by lunch. Afternoon Tuscan Table flower workshop with Naomi. Cooking class using local beef & Tuscan tomatoes. Dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Thursday: Breakfast. All day trip to Florence with lunch and dinner out on your own.
- Friday: Breakfast. Morning trip to a local cheese maker. Head back to the kitchen to use the cheeses in our cooking. Cooking class: Stuﬀed pasta using local cheese. Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Farewell Dinner. Pizza party night at Villa Montecastello – make your own pizza in a restored 1000 year old outdoor oven under the guidance of a local Pizzaiolo. Enjoy local artisanal beers and meet the brewer!
- Saturday: Breakfast and departure for airport.
All Inclusive Accommodations
The week includes 7 overnight accommodations at Villa Montecastello, 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners, all local transportation as described in the itinerary including airport pickup and drop oﬀ at Florence airport. Daily breakfast buﬀet includes locally baked goods and produce, fruit, coﬀee, tea and juice. Also included are all of the materials for cooking classes, wine tours and tasting. Unlimited bottled water (sparkling and flat) at villa. House wine with lunch and dinners from our expertly curated house selection, plus all fine wines for tastings and winery tours.
Not included in pricing: Airfare, all extra beverages, additional transportation outside of itinerary.
Each room is uniquely furnished with the utmost attention to detail. All rooms oﬀer luxury hand ironed linens, hand made olive oil soap and shampoo, fresh cut flowers and air conditioning. Villa Montecastello oﬀers 8 room options of varying sizes and pricing, each is filled with beautiful antiques, warmth and charm. The Villa Montecastello has many shared sitting areas both inside and out, and a library filled with books about Italy, food and wine.
- Leccino Luxury Suite: $6400 per person for double occupancy - The largest apartment oﬀering the most comfort and space with one bedroom with Queen bed, a private living room with pull out sofa bed, fireplace, living room area, kitchen and large ensuite bathroom
- Frantoio Suite: $6100 per person for double occupancy - Our most romantic room, beautifully appointed with a King size canopy bed and ensuite bathroom with claw foot tub
- Pendolino Studio: $5800 per person for double occupancy, $6400 per person for single occupancy - A charming studio with Queen bed, private ensuite bathroom with shower only and kitchenette
- Foresteria Room: $5800 per person for double occupancy, $6400 per person for single occupancy - A beautiful large bedroom with King bed or two Twin beds and private ensuite bathroom
- Moraiolo Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5500 per person for double occupancy, $6100 per person for single occupancy - Cozy and lovely rooms with private bathrooms across the hallway, just a few steps outside the room. Bedroom #1 has the option for a King bed or two Twin beds. Bedroom #2 has a Queen bed.
- Frantoio Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5200 per person for double occupancy, $5800 per person for single occupancy - These two beautifully appointed rooms share an extra-large bathroom with a separate room for shower and toilet for added privacy, one of the rooms oﬀer a Queen Bed and one oﬀers option of King or two Twins. Perfect for friends who want their own rooms but don’t mind sharing a bathroom.
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For questions or to book direct email us or call 973.327.2336