Life in Sicily with Chef Linda Sarris
MAY 5-12, 2018
Join The Cheeky Chef, Linda Sarris, in the Sicilian countryside for an unforgettable culinary adventure. Linda’s unparalleled love for Sicily and food, and her insider access to the best food and wine producers, makers and shakers in Sicily, make her the perfect leader for exploring all the best things about Sicilian life, culture and cuisine. This week long journey will immerse you in the joys of Sicilian cuisine, introduce you to new techniques and ingredients, and inspire your love for cooking and adventure for years to come.
Linda has traveled to over 25 countries in search of caipirinhas, fresh octopus and oysters, volcanic wines and hardcore street food. After the French Culinary Institute and a few stints in restaurants, Linda took off to sharpen her culinary skills in her own adventurous way - working on a farm-to-table cooking school and wine estate in Sicily, spending two summers private-cheffing in Tuscany and consulting for restaurants in Bucharest, Romania and Bogota, Columbia. Linda has spent the last few years researching and gathering insider information on Sicilian food tourism, in preparation of her new venture, SNACK sicily! SNACK sicily is a printed mini magazine with down to earth recipes, interviews with her favorite Sicilians, and the best tips for travelers.
Western Sicily is the perfect place to experience true Sicilian life as a local and to immerse yourself in it’s rich culture. This less developed side of Sicily has a long history of agriculture and a diversity of cultures from Greeks to Arabs that influenced its cuisine and way of life. During this impeccably curated hands on week of cooking, eating, and exploring, Linda will share all of her knowledge and absolute best discoveries to lead you on the journey of a lifetime. Along with our partners at Di Giovanna, a multi generation, family run organic wine estate, Linda will guide you through the simple, beautiful and flavorful experience of living a week in Sicily to the fullest, all with her signature CHEEKY style!
- Saturday: Arrival to Sicily. Welcome to hotel Don Giovanni. Settle into your beautiful surroundings and enjoy a glass of wine and light buﬀ et style lunch in the courtyard. Free time to freshen up, unpack and explore the grounds. Welcome dinner reception at Cantina Di Giovanna in Sambuca di Sicilia.
- Sunday: Breakfast. Optional morning yoga class. Take an all day trip to Marsala. Visit Marco DeBartoli for a Marsala tasting. Enjoy lunch, exploring and shopping before heading to visit the local salt pans. Sunset aperitif before dinner at a local seafood restaurant in Marsala.
- Monday: Breakfast. Morning walk in the vineyards inside Monte Genuardo Nature Reserve followed by a tour, tasting and lunch at the Di Giovanna winery. Back to the kitchen for an afternoon cooking class with game and local seasonal produce. Cooking class dinner in the courtyard of Don Giovanni, with a Sicilian amaro flight to end the night.
- Tuesday: Breakfast. Optional morning yoga class. Morning trip to Castelvetrano to visit the local flour mill and ancient olive grove, with lunch in Castelvetrano. Back to the kitchen for a cooking class creating recipes with Sicilian flour and Sicilian extra virgin olive oil, followed by a dinner of our own creation in the courtyard.
- Wednesday: Breakfast. Morning visit to a local cheese producer in Sambuca, see how fresh ricotta is made followed by a cooking class focusing on cheese, with lunch to follow at Don Giovanni. Afternoon tour of historic Sambuca di Sicilia followed by dinner at a local wood oven pizzeria.
- Thursday: Breakfast. All day trip to the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento, with a picnic lunch. Dinner at Chef Pino Cuttaia’s 2 Star Michelin restaurant, La Madia in Licata.
- Friday: Breakfast. Morning visit to the port of Sciacca, with free time for ceramic shopping. Lunch in Sciacca at Porto San Paolo. Back to the kitchen for an afternoon cooking class using the fresh catch of the day. We’ll keep the wine ﬂ owing through the night with a farewell dinner and live music in the courtyard at Don Giovanni.
- Saturday: Breakfast. Departure for the airport
*subject to change
all inclusive accommodations & Pricing
The charming and authentic hotel Don Giovanni will be your home base during this week long retreat. Tastefully appointed rooms with private bathrooms, wifi and a/c, connect to a center courtyard with private sitting areas throughout where you can enjoy a view of the Sicilian countryside. Cooking classes will take place in the beautiful professional kitchen of the hotel. A group concierge will make sure every aspect of your trip is as dreamy and amazing as it sounds. All food for cooking classes will be local and seasonal and chosen from the highest quality purveyors. All wines served with your meals will be hand selected by an expert. Spring is the ideal time to travel to Sicily., when the rolling hillsides are colored with a variety of wildflowers, sheep graze the fields producing the most flavorful milk for fresh ricotta and fresh sheep’s milk cheeses. The vineyards are green and the temperature is mild and pleasant. Spring is a beautiful time for local produce too, think fava beans, artichokes, peas and many diﬀerent greens that grow wildly in the hillsides, and the widest variety of fish is available including fresh tuna and swordfish. Every detail of your week will be taken care of so all you have to do is arrive and be ready to have the time of your life.
The week includes 7 overnight accommodations at Don Giovanni, 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners, all local transportation as described in the itinerary including airport pickup and drop oﬀ at Palermo airport. Daily breakfast buﬀ et includes locally baked goods and produce, fruit, coﬀee, tea and juice. Also included are all of the materials for cooking classes, wine tours and tasting, yoga and oﬀ site visits. Bottled water (sparkling and flat) and house wine with lunch and dinners from our expertly curated selection, plus all wine for tastings and winery tours. Not included in pricing: Airfare, all extra beverages and food outside of itinerary, additional transportation outside of itinerary.
PRICING: $4000 DOUBLE / $4200 SINGLE
For this retreat we are teaming up with our friends at Di Giovanna winery, whose family produces extraordinary organic wines and olive oils, and whose insider access to all things Sicily is unparalleled, along with The Cheeky Chef, Linda Sarris, whose passion for Sicilian cuisine is palpable, to bring you this beautifully curated adventure. Click to check out more on Di Giovanna and Linda Sarris!
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For question, more details or to book by phone call 973.327.2336 or email us.