Life in Sicily with Chef Linda Sarris
October 17-21, 2018
During this off the beaten path fall adventure to the rustic Western Sicily, guests will dive into the olive oil harvest, exploring how olive oil is made and how to use it to create beautiful sweet and savory dishes.
Join The Cheeky Chef, Linda Sarris, in the Sicilian countryside for an unforgettable culinary adventure. Linda’s unparalleled love for Sicily and her insider access to the best food and wine producers, makers and shakers make her the perfect leader for exploring all the great things about Sicilian life, culture and cuisine. Together with Linda you will seek out the best local ingredients in Western Sicily, then head back into the kitchen to explore and create. We will follow the harvest from the olive grove to the mill to your plate, breathing in the intense aromas of freshly pressed olive oil. We will dive deep into the world of wine at the organic Di Giovanna estate, and learn to appreciate quality ingredients at the local flour mill in Castelvetrano and with a cheese maker in Sambuca di Sicilia. We will stroll local hamlets, and open your eyes to real life in Sicily.
Raised in a big Greek-American family with a Chef grandfather and a fisherman dad, Linda has been in love with food her whole life. She’s traveled to over 25 countries in search of caipirinhas, fresh octopus and oysters, volcanic wines + hardcore street food. After the French Culinary Institute and a few stints in restaurants, Linda took off to sharpen her culinary skills in her own adventurous way - working on a farm to-table cooking school and wine estate in Sicily, spending two summers private-cheffing in Tuscany and consulting for a restaurant in Bucharest, Romania. Linda now splits her time between New York City and Palermo and is writing her travel guide, SNACKsicily.
Western Sicily is the perfect place to experience true Sicilian life as a local and to immerse yourself in it’s rich culture. This less developed side of Sicily has a long history of agriculture and a diversity of cultures from Greeks to Arabs that influenced its cuisine and way of life. During this impeccably curated hands-on adventure of cooking, eating, and exploring, Linda will share all of her knowledge and absolute best discoveries to lead you on the journey of a lifetime. She’ll guide you through the simple, beautiful and flavorful experience of life in Sicily, all with her signature CHEEKY style!
- Wednesday: Arrival to Sicily and welcome to hotel Don Giovanni. Settle into your beautiful surroundings, with a glass of vino and a light lunch. Free time to freshen up, unpack and explore. Evening walk in historic Sambuca di Sicilia followed by dinner at a wood-fired pizzeria with artisanal Sicilian beers.
- Thursday: Breakfast, followed by a morning visit to a local cheesemaker. Into the kitchen for a hands-on cooking class and lunch paired with a Sicilian wine flight. Afternoon vineyard & wine cellar tour in Monte Genuardo followed by dinner at Cantina Di Giovanna.
- Friday: Breakfast and optional morning yoga class at Don Giovanni. Participate in the local olive harvest, with a picnic at lunchtime in the olive grove. Visit the town’s mill to see how olive oil is made. Evening cooking lesson and dinner featuring new harvest olive oil and a flight of Sicilian amaro.
- Saturday: Breakfast and optional morning yoga class at Don Giovanni. Morning trip to Castelvetrano to visit the local flour mill and an ancient olive grove. Lunch at a local trattoria in Castelvetrano. Cooking lesson at Don Giovanni using Sicilian grains and our own fresh extra virgin olive oil, closing the night out with our farewell dinner in the courtyard of Don Giovanni.
- Sunday: Breakfast and departure
All Inclusive Accommodations & Pricing
The charming and authentic hotel Don Giovanni will be your home base in Sambuca di Sicilia. Tastefully appointed rooms connect to a center courtyard, with private sitting areas where you can enjoy a view of the Sicilian countryside. Cooking classes will take place in the professionally equipped kitchen of the hotel. Autumn is a beautiful time to travel to Sicily, when the grape harvest finishes and the leaves on the vines begin to change color to shades of yellow and red. The olives are harvested soon after and then the bustle of olive pressing at the mills begins. It’s the season for nuts such as almonds, pistachios and chestnuts as well as wild greens, mushrooms and game meats.
The trip includes accommodations for 4 nights at Don Giovanni, 4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, all local transportation as described in the itinerary including pickup and drop off at Palermo airport. Sicilian wine from our expertly curated selection will be included with meals.
PRICING: $2200 DOUBLE / $2400 SINGLE
For this retreat we are teaming up with our friends at Di Giovanna winery, whose family produces extraordinary organic wines and olive oils, and whose insider access to all things Sicily is unparalleled, along with The Cheeky Chef, Linda Sarris, whose passion for Sicilian cuisine is palpable, to bring you this beautifully curated adventure. Click to check out more on Di Giovanna and Linda Sarris!
Not included in pricing: Airfare and any additional food/beverages/transportation outside of the planned itinerary.
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For questions or to book direct email us or call 973.327.2336