Chef Joey Campanaro
NOVEMBER 3-10, 2018
Join acclaimed New York City chef and restaurateur, Joey Campanaro, for an unforgettable culinary adventure and intimate, hands on week of cooking and exploring in the romantic Tuscan countryside. Joey will introduce you to new techniques and ingredients, cooking together with you both traditional Italian recipes as well as the very best from his restaurants, The Little Owl, Market Table and The Clam, guiding you through the simple and flavorful experience of living a week in Tuscany to the fullest, and inspiring your cooking for years to come! We are thrilled to have Joey back to Villa Montecastello.
With a culinary approach rooted in his Italian grandmother’s kitchen and honed in a range of America’s top restaurants, Joey Campanaro brings a lifelong aﬃnity for Italian cuisine to every dish he creates. His passion and skills have landed Joey in top restaurants around the country, where he learned from the brightest chef’s in the business, such as Neil Murphy, Joachim Splichal, Jimmy Bradley and Jonathan Waxman.
Before moving to New York, Joey was the Chef de Cuisine of Universal Studio’s Executive Dining Room and proprietor of his own Hollywood, California based catering company. In New York, Joey opened The Harrison in Tribeca, where he earned a two-star review from The New York Times. In 2004, he took on the role of Executive Chef of Pace, an Italian restaurant in Tribeca, while also reopening his catering company, Blackfoot Consulting, where he continues to consults for such esteemed clients as Martha Stewart, Mike Piazza, NBC Universal and Conde Nast Publishing, among others.
In 2006, Joey opened his dream restaurant, The Little Owl, in New York City’s West Village to critical acclaim. The Little Owl continues to be praised as one of New York’s most exciting restaurants and has received a two-star review from The New York Times. Next came Little Owl-The Venue, a private event space and culinary showroom, and then in 2007 along with friend Mickey Price, Joey opened Market Table, a neighborhood restaurant specializing in warm hospitality and fresh market-driven cuisine. Following the success of Market Table, the pair went on to open The Clam, a seafood focused restaurant nearby.
Joey’s success has received critical acclaim, and has been featured in publications such as Food & Wine, Conde Nast Traveler, The New York Times, New York Magazine, Time Out New York, Travel & Leisure, NBC’s Today Show, and many more.
The setting for this week will be the immaculately restored 11th century luxury agriturismo, Villa Montecastello, a working organic farm and olive grove, perched high atop a hillside with the dreamiest views of the Tuscan countryside. The villa has been immaculately renovated to oﬀ e r its visitors an authentic luxury experience in Tuscany centered around food and wine. Located one hour south of Florence, the Villa is surrounded by olive groves, with vineyards and nature reserves at its base. With extensive vegetable and herb gardens, in-house raised animals and olive oil made on site, much of the produce that will be used in the cooking classes and meals will come right from the farm, making for a truly unique and authentic farm to table cooking experience. Your week spent in this storybook setting will be complemented by magical day trips and wonderful wines.
- Saturday: Arrival to Villa Montecastello, light lunch upon arrival. Time to relax and freshen up. Tour the grounds, vegetable gardens and meet the animals that live on-site. Sunset prosecco reception and aperitivo, followed by a welcome dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Sunday: Breakfast. We’ll jump right into cooking classes with The Little Owl classics: Pork Chop, Vinaigrettes and more! Lunch of our own creation at Villa Montecastello. Free time for relaxing, hiking, reading, exploring. Afternoon cooking class: Aperitivo, followed by a light dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Monday: Breakfast. Morning cooking class: Meatballs and Fall Veggies from the garden, followed by lunch. Afternoon free time in Siena. Dinner out together at a favorite local restaurant in Siena.
- Tuesday: Breakfast. Morning trip to Montalcino for a winery tour and Brunello tasting. Lunch together in the town of Montalcino at a restaurant with unbeatable views of the countryside. Free time to kick back. Late afternoon cooking class: Dessert. Dinner at Villa Montecastello: Grill night!
- Wednesday: Breakfast. Olive harvest! Harvest and press fresh olive oil - there is nothing quite like it! Lunch at Villa Montecastello. Afternoon cooking class: Pasta of all shapes and sizes, followed by dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Thursday: Breakfast. All day trip to Florence to explore this amazing city on your own. Lunch and dinner out on your own. We’ll provide maps and advice on the best spots to eat, drink shop and explore.
- Friday: Breakfast class followed by lunch at Villa Montecastello. Free time for hiking, reading, exploring, relaxing and taking it all in. Farewell Dinner Pizza Party night at Villa Montecastello with local artisanal beers – make your own pizza in our 1000 year old outdoor oven under the guidance of a local Pizzaiolo.
- Saturday: Breakfast and departure for airport.
All Inclusive Accommodations & Pricing
Villa Montecastello will be your private Tuscan oasis during this week long culinary retreat. We invite you to immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of nature, eat to your heart’s content, and to relax in the gardens with a glass of Prosecco and soak in the sprawling views of the Tuscan countryside. This week long journey will inspire your love of cooking for years to come. Chef Joey will share his passion, expertise and lead you through the simply amazing and flavorful experience of living a week in Tuscany to the fullest.
The week includes 7 overnight accommodations at Villa Montecastello, 7 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 6 dinners, all local transportation as described in the itinerary including airport pickup and drop oﬀ at Florence airport. Daily breakfast buﬀ e t includes locally baked goods and produce, fruit, coﬀee, tea and juice. Also included are all of the materials for cooking classes, wine tours and tasting. Unlimited bottled water (sparkling and flat) at villa. House wine with lunch and dinners from our expertly curated house selection, plus all fine wines for tastings and winery tours.
Not included in pricing: Airfare, all extra beverages, additional transportation outside of itinerary.
Each room is uniquely furnished with the utmost attention to detail. All rooms oﬀer luxury hand ironed linens, hand made olive oil soap and shampoo, fresh cut flowers and air conditioning or heating depending on the season. Villa Montecastello oﬀers 8 room options of varying sizes and pricing, each is filled with beautiful antiques, warmth and charm. The Villa Montecastello has many shared sitting areas both inside and out, and a library filled with books about Italy, food and wine.
- Frantoio Suite: $6300 per person for double occupancy - Our most romantic room, beautifully appointed with a King size canopy bed and ensuite bathroom with claw foot tub
- Pendolino Studio: $6000 per person for double occupancy, $6600 per person for single occupancy - A charming studio with Queen bed, private ensuite bathroom with shower only and kitchenette
- Foresteria Room: $6000 per person for double occupancy, $6600 per person for single occupancy A beautiful large bedroom with King bed or two Twin beds and private ensuite bathroom
- Moraiolo Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5700 per person for double occupancy, $6300 per person for single occupancy - Cozy and lovely rooms with private bathrooms across the hallway, just a few steps outside the room. Bedroom #1 has the option for a King bed or two Twin beds. Bedroom #2 has a Queen bed.
- Frantoio Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5400 per person for double occupancy, $6000 per person for single occupancy These two beautifully appointed rooms share an extra-large bathroom with a separate room for shower and toilet for added privacy, one of the rooms oﬀer a Queen Bed and one oﬀers option of King or two Twins. Perfect for friends who want their own rooms but don’t mind sharing a bathroom.
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For question, more details or to book by phone call 973.327.2336 or email us.