Grove and Vine in Italy with Experts, Dan Amatuzzi & Nicholas Coleman
OCTOBER 20-26, 2018
Join culinary experts and childhood friends, Sommelier and wine expert, Dan Amatuzzi and Oleologist, Nicholas Coleman, in the beautiful Tuscan countryside for a New York Times recommended week of unforgettable and in-depth culinary exploration. At the 1000 year old Villa Montecastello, Dan and Nicholas will expand on their wildly successful Grove and Vine, olive oil and wine tasting events, and open the doors to local artisans and farmers lives. Wine expert and author, Dan Amatuzzi, will be your guide through the vineyards of some of Tuscany’s best boutique wineries in Montalcino, Chianti and San Gimignano, while sharing his in-depth knowledge of Italian wine and Tuscan varietals. Nicholas Coleman, one of America’s leading olive oil experts, will tour the groves with you, and teach you all there is to know about the olive.
Dan’s tenure at famed New York restaurants Del Posto, Jean Georges, Babbo, Otto, and Eataly have shaped the foundation of his wine experiences and expertise. His website, wineforthestudent.com, is based on wine and spirits education, featuring interviews with winemakers, regional grape descriptions, and wine recommendations. Dan’s most popular publication, A First Course in Wine, is a comprehensive guide to understanding and enjoying wine. In 2011, Zagat named Dan as one of New York's rising “30 under 30” culinary stars, and in January 2013, Forbes named Dan as one of the nations “30 under 30” to watch in the food and wine industry. Dan has been featured in Food and Wine Magazine, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg Radio, Cosmo Radio, WGN Chicago, NBC’s Today Show, and as Fox’s Good Day enthusiastic wine tasting host.
Nicholas is an international olive oil expert, educator, speaker and co-founder of Grove and Vine, a bespoke full-service olive oil procurement center. He has taught oil courses for Zagat’s Master Class, Bon Appetite, The International Culinary Center, The Institute of Culinary Education, Cornell, NYU and Columbia University, Platinum Country Clubs and to Mario Batali’s critically acclaimed chefs and sommeliers nationwide. Nicholas finished top of the class from The National Organization of Olive Oil Tasters (ONAOO) and was Chief Oleologist at Eataly from 2010-2017, during which he opened four stores with the company and trained thousands of employees. He has been a judge at The New York International Olive Oil Competition and the Sol D’Oro Southern Hemisphere Competition in Santiago, Chile. Over the past decade he’s developed and maintained relationships with producers from all over the world. He has been featured in The New York Times, GQ, Esquire, Food and Wine, The Los Angeles Times, La Cucina Italiana, Real Simple Magazine and Lucky Peach among others. He is an honorary member of the International Order of Disciples of Escoffier and a bicoastal professor for the International Culinary Center’s olive oil sommelier certification course in New York City and California.
- Saturday: Arrival to Villa Montecastello, light lunch upon arrival. Time to relax, explore and freshen up. Sunset prosecco reception and welcome dinner at Villa Montecastello.
- Sunday: Breakfast. Welcome orientation. Introduction to olive oil, followed by farm fresh olive oil focused lunch at Villa Montecastello. Afternoon Intro to Wine class with a focus on the local area of San Gimignano. Depart for San Gimiginano boutique winery tour and tasting. Dinner out at a local trattoria.
- Monday: Breakfast. Introduction to Montalcino wines. Depart for Montalcino for a tour and tasting of Brunello at a boutique winery. Lunch in Montalcino with unbeatable views of the countryside. After lunch, depart for Siena to spend the afternoon exploring this UNESCO Heritage Site before having dinner at one of the best restaurants in the city.
- Tuesday: Breakfast. All day trip to Florence with free time to explore and lunch on your own. Return to Villa Montecastello in the evening for pizza making in a restored 1000 year old outdoor oven under the guidance of a local pizzaiolo. Enjoy local artisanal beers.
- Wednesday: Breakfast. Introduction to Chianti wine and olive oil. Depart for a tour and tasting at 2 wineries in Chianti with lunch at the winery. Free time to explore a small Chianti town. Dinner at a restaurant in Chianti.
- Thursday: Breakfast. All about olive oil. Tasting and tour of the olive groves and small on site olive press. Visit to the local large press to see how oil is made. Picnic lunch in the grove. Afternoon cooking class highlighting olive oil, followed by dinner of our own creation.
- Friday: Breakfast, good-byes and departure for airports.
All Inclusive Accommodations
Villa Montecastello will be your private Tuscan oasis during this week long retreat. We invite you to immerse yourself in the sights and sounds of nature, eat to your heart’s content, and to relax by the pool with a glass of Prosecco and soak in the sprawling views of the Tuscan countryside. This week long journey will immerse you in the joys of Italian culture, introduce you to new perspectives on food and wine, and inspire your love for wine and olive oil for years to come. Dan and Nicholas will guide you during this hands-on week, sharing their own personal views on wine and olive oil, and lead you through the simply amazing and flavorful experience of living a week in Tuscany to the fullest.
The week includes 6 overnight accommodations at Villa Montecastello, 6 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 6 dinners, all local transportation as described in the itinerary including airport pickup and drop oﬀ at Florence airport. Daily breakfast buﬀet includes locally baked goods and produce, fruit, coﬀee, tea and juice. Also included are all of the materials for cooking classes, wine tours and tasting. Unlimited bottled water (sparkling and flat) at villa. House wine with lunch and dinners from our expertly curated house selection, plus all fine wines for tastings and winery tours.
Not included in pricing: Airfare, all extra beverages, additional transportation outside of itinerary.
Each room is uniquely furnished with the utmost attention to detail. All rooms oﬀer luxury hand ironed linens, hand made olive oil soap and shampoo, fresh cut flowers and air conditioning. Villa Montecastello oﬀers 8 room options of varying sizes and pricing, each is filled with beautiful antiques, warmth and charm. The Villa Montecastello has many shared sitting areas both inside and out, and a library filled with books about Italy, food and wine.
- Leccino Luxury Suite: $6100 per person for double occupancy - The largest apartment oﬀering the most comfort and space with one bedroom with Queen bed, a private living room with pull out sofa bed, fireplace, living room area, kitchen and large ensuite bathroom
- Frantoio Suite: $5800 per person for double occupancy - Our most romantic room, beautifully appointed with a King size canopy bed and ensuite bathroom with claw foot tub
- Pendolino Studio: $5500 per person for double occupancy, $6000 per person for single occupancy - A charming studio with Queen bed, private ensuite bathroom and kitchenette
- Foresteria Room: $5500 per person for double occupancy, $6000 per person for single occupancy - A beautiful large bedroom with King bed or two Twin beds and private ensuite bathroom
- Moraiolo Bedrooms #1 & #2: $5200 per person for double occupancy, $5700 per person for single occupancy - Cozy and lovely rooms with private bathrooms across the hallway, just a few steps outside the room. Bedroom #1 has the option for a King bed or two Twin beds. Bedroom #2 has a Queen bed.
- Frantoio Bedrooms #1 & #2: $4900 per person for double occupancy, $5400 per person for single occupancy - These two beautifully appointed rooms share an extra-large bathroom with a separate room for shower and toilet for added privacy, one of the rooms oﬀer a Queen Bed and one oﬀers option of King or two Twins. Perfect for friends who want their own rooms but don’t mind sharing a bathroom.
*Note for online bookings a booking fee of 3% is included in the pricing.
For questions or to book direct email us or call 973.327.2336